A PIJ terrorist operative [black headband] and an Izz al-Din Qassam Brigades terrorist operative [green headband] accompany a young Israeli abductee (ahmad.ibraa's X account, November 28, 2023)
Jerusalem Brigades terrorist organizations during the release of the hostages (@ibo_fikri's X account , November 28, 2023)
Mai al-Kayla visits wounded Gazans hospitalized in Egypt (ministry of health in Ramallah Facebook page, November 28, 2023)
Residents in the southern Gaza Strip stock up on food and other supplies (Wafa YouTube channel, November 28, 2023)
Humanitarian aid and fuel trucks enter the Gaza Strip through the Rafah Crossing (Wafa YouTube channel, November 28, 2023)
Israeli security forces' activity this morning in the Jenin refugee camp (QudsN X account, November 29, 2023)
Reception in Ramallah for the fifth group of released Palestinian prisoners (Right: Facebook page of the Palestinian website al-Hadath.
The Temporary Ceasefire and the Release of the Abductees
- Following the extension of the temporary ceasefire, on the evening of November 28, 2023, a fifth group of abductees, ten Israeli women and two foreign civilians, were released. In return, Israel released 20 Palestinian prisoners.
- Senior Hamas terrorist Musa Abu Marzouq, a member of the Hamas political bureau, said that on November 29, 2023, they were going to release two abductees with Russian citizenship unconnected to the deal with Israel, as a “tribute to Russian President Putin” (Musa Abu Marzouq’s X account, November 29, 2023).
- Senior Hamas terrorist Osama Hamdan, claimed that by releasing the abductees from various locations in the Gaza Strip, the north, the south and Gaza City, Hamas’ military wing disproved the IDF claim of control over parts of the Gaza Strip, and it was a message that the “resistance” [the Palestinian terrorist organizations] were firm, strong and well-established (al-Arabi TV website, November 28, 2023).
- Zaher Jabarin, who holds the prisoner file in Hamas, confirmed Hamas’ military-terrorist wing had a mechanism in place for selecting the hostages who would be released. He claimed that from the first day, Hamas had said more than 8500 Palestinian prisoners had to be released, and that the abductees would be held until the release of all the Palestinian prisoners. He said the number [of abductees] held by the “resistance” was large enough that it could impose all its conditions. He also pointed out that the Palestinians in general and the “resistance” in particular ,did not want the war to continue, but from the beginning they had been prepared for a long, difficult war and for “all possibilities” (YouTube channel of TRT Arabic TV, November 29, 2023).
Hamas-Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) collaboration
- For the first time since the release of the abductees began, PIJ’s military-terrorist wing announced that it had handed over a number of Israeli abductees as part of the deal (Jerusalem Brigades’ Telegram channel, November 28, 2023). While the abductees were turned over to the Red Cross, this time, in addition to armed, masked Hamas terrorists, the operatives of the PIJ’s military-terrorist were also present.
- After the release of the abductees, the PIJ issued a statement claiming the Palestinians had presented a “humane, civilized image” that reflected the Palestinian adherence to “the religious and moral values that encourage good treatment of abductees.” The statement claimed that the “resistance,” led by the Izz al-Din Qassam Brigades and the Jerusalem Brigades [the military-terrorist wings of Hamas and the PIJ, respectively] was united, had common objectives and “hopes,” and was operating shoulder to shoulder on the battlefield, united and committed to the “basic principles and Palestinian interests.” It also that the “coordination, cooperation and cohesion between the Jerusalem Brigades and the Izz al-Din Qassam Brigades” constituted an example of which all the peoples of the [Muslim nation] and the free people of the world were proud [sic] (PIJ media information bureau Telegram channel, November 28, 2023).
A PIJ terrorist operative [black headband] and an Izz al-Din Qassam Brigades terrorist operative [green headband] accompany a young Israeli abductee (ahmad.ibraa’s X account, November 28, 2023)
Jerusalem Brigades terrorist organizations during the release of the hostages
(@ibo_fikri’s X account , November 28, 2023)
- Senior PIJ terrorist Muhammad al-Hindi, deputy PIJ secretary general, said the photos reflected the coordination between the Jerusalem Brigades and the Izz al-Din Qassam Brigades. He said that since the first day they had operated shoulder to shoulder in close coordination. He noted that November 28, 2023 was not the first time the Jerusalem Brigades had released abductees, but had also done so in previous rounds. Asked if the Jerusalem Brigades had released all the abductees it was holding, he claimed that of the 30 they were holding, they had released all the women and children.
- Regarding the exchange deal, he said that from the beginning the PIJ had said “civilians could be exchanged of civilians” in two ways, the way Israel had chosen or an overall deal of “everyone for everyone,” emptying the Israeli prisons of the Palestinian prisoners. He claimed “everyone for everyone” was possible, but it would take a long time and could be carried out only after a ceasefire (Jerusalem Brigades YouTube channel November 29, 2023).
Extending the temporary ceasefire and the release of the abductees
- According to “senior Egyptian sources,” Abbas Kamel, the head of Egyptian General Intelligence, arrived in Qatar and is expected to participate in talks with Qatari, American and Israeli officials regarding the continuation of the ceasefire (al-Qahera, November 28, 2023).
- On the sidelines of the government meeting, Hossein-Amir Abdollahian, Iranian foreign minister, said that efforts to extend the cease-fire in Gaza were continuing. He said Hamas had to decide how it should act to extend the ceasefire, claiming that an initiative for a permanent ceasefire in return for the release and exchange of all Israeli abductees and Palestinian prisoners was now on the table (Farda News, November 29, 2023).
- A “source” close to Hamas claimed the movement had informed the mediators that it was willing to extend the temporary ceasefire by four days to be able to release additional Israeli abductees that Hamas, “resistance” movements, and other “elements” were holding, according to the terms of the existing temporary ceasefire agreement (Agence France-Presse, November 29, 2023).
- Senior Hamas terrorist Osama Hamdan said that extending the ceasefire was a possibility and on the agenda, and negotiations moved in two directions: humanitarian, which included the release of the largest possible number of abductees, and political, related to how the “aggression” and the “siege” on the Gaza Strip could be ended, thus allowing them to deal with the consequences of the events and sign an exchange deal that would include all the prisoners. So far, he claimed, neither possibility had yet matured.
- As to the release of soldiers, Hamdan said that it was currently too early and difficult to talk about negotiations regarding the soldiers because of the continued suffering of the Palestinians and “Israeli aggression.” He claimed that only stopping the war would provide a suitable opportunity to talk about the release of the soldiers. He also noted that the terms and rules of a deal for the exchange of Israeli soldiers would be completely different from those of the current negotiations and temporary ceasefire. He said Hamas was holding soldiers but would not specify how many because that would be part of the negotiations.
- Regarding the current exchange deal, he said that at the beginning of the negotiations they had offered to release adult men in exchange for the release of adult Palestinian prisoners, but Israel rejected the offer and therefore the exchange was limited to women and children. He said the agreement to extend the temporary ceasefire included the release of 60 Palestinians in exchange for the release of 20 Israelis, and the numbers were expected to increase on both sides until the end of the temporary ceasefire on the evening of November 29, 2023 (alarabia.net, November 29, 2023).
The Combat Arena
IDF activity on the ground
- Despite the ceasefire, on November 28, 2023, three IEDs were detonated in two separate incidents in the northern Gaza Strip near the IDF forces who were within the agreed ceasefire lines, and in one instance shots were fired at the forces. A number of fighters were injured. The forces returned fire (IDF spokesperson, November 28, 2023).
- Senior Hamas terrorist Abu Obeida, spokesman for Hamas’ military-terrorist wing, claimed “an Israeli violation of the ceasefire agreement” in the northern Gaza Strip had led to “friction” in the area. He claimed the “fighters” [terrorist operatives] had dealt with the violation. He claimed they were committed to the temporary ceasefire as long as Israel was committed to it, and they called on the mediators to pressure Israel to comply with all the terms of the agreement (Abu Obeida’s Telegram channel, November 28, 2023).
- Meanwhile, the IDF forces continue to prepare for the day after the temporary cease-fire. The IDF is using the time to study the situation, draw conclusions, prepare for the continuation of fighting, approve plans and improve the preparedness of the forces (IDF spokesperson, November 28, 2023).
Rocket fire from the Gaza Strip
- Since the announcement of the cease-fire, no rockets or mortar shells have been fired at Israeli territory from the Gaza Strip, with the exception of a few launches at the area surrounding Gaza near the time the cease-fire began.
- According to an unofficial estimate, since October 7 approximately 1,200 Israeli civilians and security personnel have been killed, 395 of them soldiers and officers (including three bodies); 155 civilian and military abductees are being held by the terrorist organizations in the Gaza Strip; 88 abductees have been returned.
The Gaza Strip
- The Hamas-controlled government media information bureau in Gaza reported that as of 7:15 p.m., November 27, 2027, the number of dead stood at more than 15,000 and the number of wounded at more than 36,000 (Shehab X account, November 27, 2023).
- Senior PIJ terrorist Muhammad al-Hindi, deputy PIJ secretary general, said there were casualties among the military wings of Hamas, the PIJ and other organizations. He claimed not all of those who were killed were killed in battle against the IDF, some were killed in their houses. Regarding the deaths of PIJ military wing operatives, he claimed that most of them had not been killed on the front (PIJ YouTube channel, November 29, 2023).
The situation in the hospitals
- During a tour of the hospitals in Egypt conducted by Mai al-Kayla, PA minister of health, , she reported 35,000 wounded Palestinians in the Gaza Strip who need treatment, while 470 wounded had already been admitted to the hospitals in Egypt. She claimed the death toll stood at 16,000, in addition to 6,000 missing Gazans, and said the public health system had collapsed after 26 of its 35 hospitals had ceased to function. She emphasized the need to bring humanitarian aid into the Strip because of the lack of food and medical equipment (Wafa, November 28, 2023).
Mai al-Kayla visits wounded Gazans hospitalized in Egypt
(ministry of health in Ramallah Facebook page, November 28, 2023)
- Dr. Muhammad Zaqout, CEO of the hospitals in the Gaza Strip, claimed that so far fuel had not been delivered to Shifa and al-Ahli Hospitals in Gaza City and Kamal Adwan Hospital in the northern Gaza Strip. He also claimed that until now the field hospitals in the Gaza Strip had not begun operating despite the serious need for their services. He also reported a shortage of water and hygiene products, increasing the risk of the spread of epidemics (aljazeera.net, November 28, 2023).
- On November 27, 2023, a French Navy floating hospital ship arrived at El Arish in Egypt. The ship is equipped with 40 beds and has a staff of 80 medical personnel on board. On November 28, 2023, Sébastien LeCorneau, the French minister of defense, reported that the ship had admitted the first patients from the Strip (Agence France-Presse, November 28, 2023).
The situation in the Gaza Strip
- The director of the World Health Organization said that 1.3 million people were currently living in shelters in the Gaza Strip. He said the overcrowding, lack of food and water, and poor sanitation would lead to the spread of diseases and the lack of health services could lead to the death of more people than Israel’s attacks (al-Jazeera, November 29, 2023).
- Hamas called on journalists and the media to increase their presence in the Gaza Strip to see for themselves the extent of the destruction Israel had caused. According to Hamas, the “massacres” of Palestinians continued, the most recent of which was the discovery of dozens of bodies of Palestinians under the rubble in Gaza City (Hamas Telegram channel, November 28, 2023). In the meantime, senior Hamas terrorist Osama Hamdan, who lives in Beirut, invited Elon Musk, who visited Israel, to visit the Gaza Strip to see the extent of what he claimed were the “massacres and crimes” committed by Israel (Palinfo, November 28, 2023; Al Arabi TV website, November 28, 2023).
- Residents in the southern Gaza Strip are taking advantage of the ceasefire to stock up on food and other supplies. Residents from Gaza City and the northern Gaza Strip, who evacuated to the south, stated that they wanted to return to their houses to assess the extent of the destruction (Wafa YouTube channel, November 28, 2023).
Residents in the southern Gaza Strip stock up on food and other supplies (Wafa YouTube channel, November 28, 2023)
- A Jordanian al-Mamlaka TV correspondent in Gaza reported on long lines at the gas stations (al-Mamlaka TV November 29, 2023).
Waiting in line to get gas (al-Mamlaka TV November 29, 2023)
Aid for the Gaza Strip
- Isma’il al-Thawabata, director of the Hamas-controlled government information bureau, said that to recover from the results of the war, “a thousand trucks of humanitarian aid” had to be brought into the Gaza Strip every day. In practice, he said, only 150 trucks entered, which did not meet the needs of the strip. Furthermore, he claimed that fuel did not reach the northern Gaza Strip at all (Anatolia, November 28, 2023).
Humanitarian aid and fuel trucks enter the Gaza Strip through the Rafah Crossing
(Wafa YouTube channel, November 28, 2023)
- Senior Hamas terrorist Osama Hamdan held a press conference in Beirut where he said they greatly appreciate all the official delegations that entered the Gaza Strip, first of all the Qatari delegation, headed by Lolwah al-Khater, the minister of state for international cooperation. He also thanked all the delegations of charitable, humanitarian and medical organizations. He again called on the leaders of the Arab and Islamic nations to translate the decisions of the Arab-Islamic summit into a reality that would stop the “aggression” and end the “siege” of the Gaza Strip. He said that despite the increase in the number of trucks bringing humanitarian aid that have entered the Gaza Strip, they could not meet elementary, vital needs, and called for their number to be increased.
- In light of the collapse of hospital services, Hamdan called on the Arab and Islamic nation and the countries of the world to send additional field hospitals in all specialties, and to take part in evacuating the wounded from the Gaza Strip and accepting them for treatment abroad. In light of the extent of the destruction and the many bodies under the rubble, he called on the countries of the world to urgently send civil defense teams and equipment for clearing rubble and recovering bodies (Palinfo, November 28, 2023; al-Arabi TV website, November 28, 2023).
The Northern Arena
- During the past day, the Israel-Lebanon border has been quiet. On November 29, 2023, it was reported that Hezbollah operatives, some of them armed, were patrolling the border area. The presence of the operatives was documented. It was reported that at a meeting held on November 28, 2023, the heads of the municipalities of Israeli communities along the northern border presented the chief of staff with photos and videos from recent days showing Hezbollah operatives patrolling the border. Some of them were armed (Ynet, November 29, 2023).
- Sky News in Arabic reported that the IDF fired at a Lebanese army vehicle at the al-Abad post near the town of Houle in south Lebanon (Sky News, November 29, 2023).
Compensation for residents of south Lebanon
- Hezbollah teams went to south Lebanon to examine the extent of the damage caused to civilian property. Hassan Izz al-Din, a member of Hezbollah’s parliamentary faction, toured several villages near the border, examining living conditions and the extent of the damage caused by the Israeli attacks. Hezbollah has reportedly begun the process of providing compensation to residents of south Lebanon whose property was damaged in the attacks (al-Manar, November 28, 2023).
- Hassan Fadlallah, a member of Hezbollah’s parliamentary faction, met with Najib Mikati, prime minister of the interim government in Lebanon, to discuss the compensation Hezbollah had begun to pay the residents of south Lebanon for the damage caused by the activity on the Israel-Lebanon border, and the amount of compensation that the government would also pay (Mikati’s office X account, November 28, 2023).
The Lebanese government
- In a communiqué sent by French President Emmanuel Macron to Najib Mikati on the occasion of Lebanese Independence Day (November 22, 2023), Macron noted that the spread of the conflict into Lebanon would have devastating consequences for the country, and that neither side should use Lebanese territory in a way that contradicted its sovereign interests. He said France had a unique responsibility towards Lebanon and would continue to stand by it (Mikati’s office X account, November 28, 2023).
- Jean-Yves Le Drian, France’s special envoy to Lebanon, met in Lebanon with Najib Mikati. He said the objective of his visit was to renew the position of the quintet [United States, Saudi Arabia, France, Egypt and Qatar] which called on the Lebanese to unify their position and to accelerate a presidential election. Mikati reported that he had stressed to Le Drian that “the priority is to stop the Israeli aggression against south Lebanon and the Gaza Strip” (Lebanese government X account, October 29, 2023). Le Drian also met with Joseph Aoun, commander of the Lebanese army, to discuss the latest developments in south Lebanon. Le Drian praised the performance of the Lebanese army and stressed his country’s “continued total support for the military institution” (the Lebanese army X account).
- Najib Mikati arrived at the Hezbollah faction headquarters in the parliament and conveyed condolences to the faction’s chairman, Muhammad Ra’ad, on the death of his son, who was killed on November 23, 2023, in south Lebanon (al-Ahed, November 29, 2023).
Judea and Samaria
Preventive and counterterrorism activities
- Israeli security forces continued their counterterrorism activities, detaining wanted Palestinians suspected of terrorist activity. The Palestinian media reported the detention of 22 Palestinians during the past day in Judea and Samaria (Wafa, November 29, 2023).
- On the morning of November 29, 2023, the Palestinian media reported extensive activity by Israeli security forces in the Jenin refugee camp. It was reported that the al-Damaj neighborhood of the camp was encircled, roads were bulldozed and many neighborhood residents were interrogated. There were reportedly heavy exchanges of fire between armed Palestinian terrorists and the security forces. Medical sources reported that six Palestinians had been wounded. It was also reported that the Jenin mosques had played a recording of Abu Obeida, spokesman for Hamas’ military-terrorist wing (Shehab X account, November 29, 2023)
Israeli security forces’ activity this morning in the Jenin refugee camp
(QudsN X account, November 29, 2023)
- Senior Hamas terrorist Ghazi Hamad said that although the ceasefire agreement was limited to the Gaza Strip, they were also monitoring Israel’s “grave violations” in Judea and Samaria and stressed their position to oppose the occupation wherever it might be (Newsweek website, November 29, 2023).
- It was later reported (3:00 p.m.) that two senior terrorist operatives in the Jenin refugee camp, one of them Muhammad al-Zubeidi, were killed in the exchanges of fire with the security forces (IDF spokesperson, November 29, 2023).
- During an event held at the Palestinian embassy in Moscow to mark the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov handed a communiqué sent by Russian President Putin to Mahmoud Abbas, Palestinian Authority chairman, in which Putin said that the establishment of a sovereign Palestinian state within the 1967 borders was a necessary condition for resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and that the bloody conflict in the Middle East was causing suffering among the Palestinians (Sputnik, November 28, 2023).
Reception for released prisoners
Reception in Ramallah for the fifth group of released Palestinian prisoners (Right: Facebook page of the Palestinian website al-Hadath. left: Telegram channel of the Ultra Palestine website, November 29, 2023)
- Hossein-Amir Abdollahian, Iranian foreign minister, sent communiqués to the president and chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague demanding that senior Israeli officials be tried for “war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide” allegedly committed by Israel in the Gaza Strip. He said the court was expected to prevent perpetrators of international dangerous crimes from evading punishment (Fars, November 28, 2023).
- Kazem Jalali, Iranian ambassador to Russia, met with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov to discuss developments in the Palestinian arena (ISNA, November 28, 2023).
- Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, meeting with members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps’ Basij militia, said that the “historic event of Operation al-Aqsa Storm” was directed against Israel, but its real significance was de-Americanization and damage to the United States’ Middle East political agenda. He noted that the United States’ plan to establish a “new Middle East” had failed. He strongly criticized Western support for Israel, saying that Western culture was expressed by the fact that when Israel [allegedly] kills thousands of children with phosphorus bombs, Western countries claim that Israel is defending itself. Khamenei noted that Operation al-Aqsa Storm could not be stopped. He added that Iran’s position was not that the Zionists and Jews should be thrown into the sea, but that it was the Palestinian people who had to determine the fate of Palestine through a referendum. Khamenei added that the “resistance groups” were now determining the fate of the region, and Operation al-Aqsa Storm was an example (Tasnim, November 29, 2023).
The Arab Arena
- King Abdullah II of Jordan sent a communiqué to the chairman of the UN Committee on the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, stating that the war in the Gaza Strip had to stop, and that Israel’s “despicable aggression” was incompatible with human values. He stressed that denying Gaza Strip residents basic necessities such as food, electricity and medicine was an “intolerable war crime.” He noted security would only be achieved through a political solution that would restore the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people. He also said that the world had to act to stop the war and protect innocent civilians, as well as oblige Israel to open unhindered humanitarian corridors. King Abdullah said Jordan would continue to stand by the Palestinians on the path to achieving their rights (Petra, November 28, 2023).
The International Arena
- The foreign ministers of the G7 countries said in a joint statement that they supported extending the ceasefire as necessary, in order to increase aid to the Gaza Strip and release all the abductees. They said all efforts had to be made to ensure the delivery of humanitarian assistance to the residents of the Gaza Strip, including food, water, fuel and medical equipment. The ministers said the rights of sea-going vessels should not be threatened or interfered with, noting that the Houthis had to stop attacking civilians and threatening international shipping lanes, and release the ship Galaxy Leader and its crew (American Department of State website, November 28, 2023)
- American President Joe Biden said Hamas had launched a terrorist attack because what it feared most was Israelis and Palestinians living side by side in peace. He said that continuing on the path of terrorism, violence, killing and war meant giving Hamas what it asked for, and they could not do that (Joe Biden’s X account, November 28, 2023).
- In a conversation between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and UN Secretary-General António Guterres before the Security Council meeting on November 29, 2023, Erdoğan said Israel had to be held accountable before the international courts for its “war crimes in Gaza.” He stressed that Israel continued to shamelessly trample on international law, the laws of war and international humanitarian law (Reuters, November 28, 2023).
 Click https://www.terrorism-info.org.il/en to subscribe and receive the ITIC's daily updates as well as its other publications. ↑
 According to the terrorist organizations, all the terrorists imprisoned in Israeli jails are "civilians." ↑
 An international economic organization that includes seven countries: the United States, Canada, Japan, Germany, France, Italy and the United Kingdom. ↑