- In early June 2019, Hamas once again called on its supporters to donate to its military wing in the virtual currency Bitcoin. The funds raised are intended to support the jihad waged by Hamas against Israel (which is described as the enemy of the Arab and Muslim Nation). The spokesman of Hamas’s military wing said that as part of the campaign, Hamas’s military wing would start to send hundreds of millions of messages in eight languages to the smartphones of millions of Arabs and Muslims in order to promote donations. Hamas’s announcement also included links to donation pages in Arabic, English, Turkish, French, Malaysian, Indonesian and Russian. In the ITIC’s assessment, Hamas’s stepping up of its fundraising campaign for its military wing in Bitcoin stems from Hamas’s economic distress.
The spokesman for Hamas’s military wing addresses Hamas’s supporters
- On June 3, 2019, Abu Obeida, the spokesman for Hamas’s military wing, published an announcement on his Telegram account, calling on the public to aid Hamas “with the digital currency” (meaning Bitcoin). This aid, he says, is intended to support Hamas in its ongoing struggle against Israel, which he describes as “the No. 1 enemy of the Arab and Muslim Nation.” Abu Obeida adds that on June 3, 2019, Hamas’s military wing will start to send millions of “authentic messages” in eight different languages to the smartphones of millions of people of the Arab and Muslim Nation.” This is done, he says, in order to make it easier to support jihad by donating money. Abu Obeida calls on anyone who receives the messages to take them seriously, share and disseminate them (Sawt Al-Aqsa Radio website, June 3, 2019).
Right: Abu Obeida thanks for the donations received so far in Bitcoin. Left: Abu Obeida’s announcement on sending text messages to Arabs and Muslims to promote the donation process (Muqawama Press Twitter account, June 3, 2019)
- Hamas’s military wing included in its messages the hashtag #support_the_resistance as well as links to website pages serving for donation in Arabic, English, Turkish, French, Malaysian, Indonesian and Russian (Al-Jazeera Mubasher, June 4, 2019). The links are specified below (Muqawama Press Twitter account, June 3, 2019). Note: Every link in the appropriate language includes an instruction video on how to transfer the donation in Bitcoin.
ITIC’s publications since early 2019 on the use of Bitcoin by the terrorist organizations
- February 3, 2019: “Hamas and the Popular Resistance Committees called on their supporters to donate money using the virtual currency Bitcoin” – Click here to read the publication
- February 12, 2019: “Drive for donations using Bitcoin on an ISIS-affiliated website” – Click here to read the publication
- March 10, 2019: “Funding Terrorism: ISIS raises funds through an affiliated website, using bitcoins” – Click here to read the publication
- May 23, 2019: “Funding Terrorism: campaign of a jihadi organization operating in the Gaza Strip to raise funds in Bitcoin” – Click here to read the publication
See also the ITIC's Information Bulletin from February 4, 2019, “Hamas and the Popular Resistance Committees called on their supporters to donate money using the virtual currency Bitcoin” ↑