The site of the shooting attack at Kedumim in which an Israeli civilian was killed
(Photo courtesy of Zaka, November 19).
1. On the eve of the Annapolis meeting the Palestinian terrorist organizations are making an effort to carry out terrorist attacks from the Gaza Strip and in Judea and Samaria . In our assessment, the attacks are meant to deflect attention from the meeting and show that the path of "resistance” (i.e., terrorism) is the strategic alternative of Hamas and the other terrorist organizations in their campaign to "liberate Palestine .”
2. Hamas and the other terrorist organizations continue their propaganda campaign against Annapolis , which Hamas refers to as "the shame and disgrace meeting.” Senior Hamas activists have accused Abu Mazen and the Palestinian Authority of making concessions regarding Jerusalem and the refugees, and have threatened that an "explosion” will occur if the "siege” of the Gaza Strip continues.
Terrorist attacks of the last few days
3. On the night of November 19 two attacks were carried out from the Gaza Strip, Judea and Samaria for which Fatah-Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade groups claimed responsibility:
1) On November 19 close to 23:30 an IDF observation post identified a squad of three terrorist operatives who were trying to cross the security fence separating Palestinian and Israeli territories and infiltrate the settlement of Netiv Ha’asara , just north of the Gaza Strip. An exchange of fire ensued during which two of the three terrorists were killed and the third wounded. They intended to use a ladder to cross the security fence. They were carrying rifles and hand grenades. 1
2) An Israeli civilian was killed in a drive-by shooting in the region of Kedumim (in central Samaria between Qalqilya and Nablus ) . The victim was Ido Zoldan, 29, a resident of Shavei Shomron, married and father of two. 2
4. Rocket and mortar shell fire from the Gaza Strip continues. Two rocket hits were identified, one in an open area near a residential neighborhood in south Ashqelon not far from a boarding school (Ynet, not 19). In addition , 15 mortar shells were fired from the northern Gaza Strip at settlements close to the security fence.
1 The attack was similar to that prevented on August 25, 2007 , when at around 7 in the morning two terrorist operatives exploited the heavy fog in the area and crossed the security fence with the help of a rope ladder on the Palestinian side and a knotted rope thrown over to the Israeli side. For further information see our August 27, 2007 Bulletin entitled "On the morning of August 25 two terrorist operatives infiltrated Israeli territory from the northern Gaza Strip by climbing over the security fence”
2 A similar attack was carried out on October 24 when a vehicle carrying terrorist operatives shot at a number of civilians waiting at a bus stop at the entrance to the city of Ariel . An Israeli soldier and civilian were wounded.